Welcome back to Open Book Kitchen, where every Sunday I highlight seven of my favorite things from the week before. They can be new finds, old favorites, fresh purchases, or (most likely) some of the food I devoured. Let’s dig in!
- This Bob’s Burgers coloring book. My very best friend from boarding school (we’ve been friends for nine years!) sent this to me as a surprise gift and it’s ADORABLE. I love Bob’s Burgers AND coloring books so it’s been really fun to lie in bed with Netflix on and color Bob, Linda, the kids, and all the rando characters. There are also stickers in the back of the book so it can’t get any better than that.
- My joints have been really bothering me this week, especially my hips, and this lavender epsom salt is my favorite addition to a nice, warm bath. I used to be a fan of bubble baths but lately these salts have been so relaxing and what I look forward to every time I take a bath.
- Union Square Donuts, in Somerville, Massachusetts always has two vegan flavors and they’re gooooood. Especially the Belgian dark chocolate – it tastes just like the chocolate frosted donuts of my youth but even better! I try to limit the amount of gluten I eat but these doughnuts have been my rare exception the last couple of years (insert heart-eyes emojis here!).
- S.W. Basics is THE SHIT. Okay, now that I have your attention I can tell you all about their skincare products, which are all-natural, organic, and made of simple, household ingredients. One of my good friends loaned me Adina Grigore’s Skin Cleanse and I immediately started making some of her recipes (the baking soda/sweet almond oil paste got rid of a pimple almost immediately. So it’s pretty much magic). Adina founded S.W. Basics and I had heard all about her company for a while but still had yet to take the plunge and buy one of their products – until I found a mini bottle of toner at Target and subsequently fell in love. Then they gave me $25 to spend just for taking place in an Instagram contest, so I went crazy and got a little bit of everything! I don’t normally do much to my skin, but lately I’ve been using the aforementioned paste as a cleanser, then their toner, then their oil serum as a light moisturizer, and I LOVE it. Check them out if you haven’t already! P.S. their packaging is adorable and my order arrived two days after I placed it which was unexpectedly awesome.
- Pinkberry has a nondairy option now that’s coconut milk-based! It’s super creamy and it goes well with any topping. I used to love fro-yo so it’s nice to be able to get something other than a fruity sorbet (because sometimes you just want it to taste more like dessert). By topping it with pineapple and shredded coconut it tastes like a tropical, refreshing treat!
- My new jeans from Gap are exactly what I was looking for. They’re a nice balance between super baggy boyfriend jeans and tight skinny jeans, and so insanely comfortable. I like the distressed look of them and they’re slightly cropped so that they’ll look really cute with booties. And Gap is having a huge sale right now so they were 40% off – obsessed!
- My love of Jessica Murnane and her One Part Podcast isn’t a new thing (I even tested some of her recipes for her last February for her upcoming cookbook). I get so excited when there’s a new episode of the podcast because she talks to some really interesting and inspiring people (mostly women) who are kicking ass in so many different professional areas. Jessica is so relatable and relaxed and her podcast is never just an “interview” – it’s a conversation between two people that often takes some cool, unexpected turns. Now, to geek out for a second: Jessica has endometriosis and has really embraced a plant-based lifestyle to manage her disease, so she’s been a huge inspiration for me. I consider her an internet mentor – her podcast, website, and weekly newsletter provide me with so much guidance and support, even if she doesn’t know it! Listen to her podcast, or at least follow her on Instagram – you won’t regret it!
What are some of your favorite things right now? Let me know!
2 thoughts on “Brenna’s Favorite Things (Like Oprah. But not as cool.)”
Um, this is as cool as Oprah’s favorite things. Take that out! Appreciate you giving me a shout so much and listening to the podcast. Means a lot. I’m also a huge fan of SW Basics. And REALLY need to get some of the doughnuts. Thanks again.
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is just as cool as Oprah’s favorite things. Take that out! Thanks so much for including OPP in your roundup and listening to the podcast. Means so much! I’m also a huge fan of SW Basics. And HAVE to get some of those doughnuts. Thanks again! Means so much.