It’s that time of week again where I break down some of the things that I can’t get enough of! They can be new finds, old favorites, fresh purchases, or (most likely) some of the food I devoured. Let’s dig in!
1. WANTcast: Katie Horwitch is totally killing it lately (check out her website and her personal instagram) but where she’s really shining is in her podcast. Her brand WANT (Women Against Negative Talk) is a breath of fresh air and super inspiring, and in her podcast, WANTcast, she talks to women (and some men!) about their journeys, their careers, their inspirations, and their struggles. There are moments in every episode that linger in my mind long after I’ve finished listening, soundbites that turn into my own personal mantras. The latest episode, with Jordan Younger (of The Balanced Blonde) caught me by surprise – I thought I knew about Jordan from what I’ve read online, but hearing her talk to Katie about her path made me respect her a lot and notice similarities between the two of us. I also love hearing Katie talk about her own struggles, especially how being a Highly Sensitive Person and an introvert (I am both of those things) impacts her relationships and her daily life. I can’t wait to see what she does next!
2. The Whole Foods in Hartford: Now, don’t get me wrong, I love every single Whole Foods I come across. However, the one in Hartford, Connecticut is SO GOOD. Their pre-made vegan sushi options are epic! There are so many different ones to choose from and each one has a clearly visible “Vegan” sticker on it which makes things so easy. The roll I got the other day had black rice, cucumber, and carrot, was wrapped in avocado, and had a pink mayo-like sauce that got its color from plum, pomegranate, and other fruit juices. My boyfriend gets the chili mango roll and the green herb mayo sauce that comes with it is so good too! Last time I was perusing the prepared foods and in the antipasto bar they had a vegan green goddess spread made from Kite Hill ricotta so of course I had to get some. I pretty much devoured it with a box of Mary’s Gone Crackers (their chia & hemp super seed crackers are my favorite flavor yet!) and was a super happy camper. I also noticed that they had vegan pizza by the slice so this Whole Foods is clearly so much better than the Whole Foods I go to in Massachusetts.
3. New Toms shoes: I had been eyeing their black desert wedges for years and years but I wasn’t a huge fan of the price tag ($90). Over the last couple years I’ve also been trying to be more conscious of what my shoes are made of – I’m not perfect but the Toms shoes are suede and I just couldn’t do it no matter how cute they are. From time to time I noticed that they made their desert wedges out of other materials and I finally found a pair at a nearby Nordstrom Rack! They’re cute, comfy, and I found them at a discout. Win-win-win!
4. Masticating juicer: For a year and a half I worked at a juice bar and was incredibly spoiled with how much freshly made juice I got to drink. As soon as I left in May I found myself missing the juice! I knew that I eventually needed to buy my own juicer and the Omega masticating juicer was at the top of my list. I finally bit the bullet right before I had surgery and was able to enjoy super nutrient-dense juices as I recovered. It’s a slow speed juicer so it’s not that loud, and it’s actually kind of meditative as it processes each piece of fruit and vegetable. The juice tastes amazing and I love being able to make some and store it in my fridge for a couple of days.
5. Easy on Netflix: I stumbled upon this on Netflix earlier this week and didn’t realize that it was created by Joe Swanberg (I love Drinking Buddies and Happy Christmas). Set in Chicago, this show tells a different story every episode, with some of the characters popping up in other episodes. It’s focused on love, sex, and relationships and once I started watching it I just wanted to watch every single episode right away.
6. Fomu ice cream: This is not a new addiction, but all this week I’ve reallyyyyy wanted what I got the last time: one big scoop of magic bar and one big scoop of pumpkin caramel. My top two Fomu flavors together = FLAVOR EXPLOSION! I love anything pumpkin and can’t help but go into Fomu whenever I’m in Boston. Their new South End location is super bright and cute and you can’t go wrong with any of their flavors. They also have baked goods (a lot of them are gluten-free!) and I love their cookie/ice cream sandwiches! Best vegan ice cream ever.
7. Lazuli Handcrafted: I want everything from Erika Young’s Lazuli Handcrafted – her jewelry is so beautiful and the perfect balance between rustic and refined. I finally bought an aquamarine lariat necklace earlier this year and it’s one of my favorite things! The turquoise half moon necklace is at the top of my list now, as well as all of the stacking rings. Anytime Erika posts a new picture on Instagram it takes a lot of self control not to immediately whip out my wallet and do some major damage.